If you’re running on different and challenging terrain, you must have the best trail running shoe. From flexible to lightweight, technical mountainous terrain, these are the things that you need to consider if you wanted to get into trail running.
Today, we list down the top 10 best trail running shoes for 2017, these are the latest runing shoe release for this year. We will update the article when there will be new releases, so everyone will be updated about the new running shoes in the market.
Inov-8 Mudclaw 300
The Inov-8 Mudclaw 300 a trail running shoe that is made for trail runner addict who wanted to have a solid running shoe when conquering the trail. It is sturdy, durable and comfortable to wear for neutral runners.
It delivers an superb grip on every muddy or soft terrain, a 8mm aggressive studs with multi-directional pattern, these studs allows the runner to survive the soft terrain when running.
The Inov-8 Mudclaw 300 has enhanced durability and protection, a combination of hard and medium sticky rubber in the outsole for durability. The upper has a toe bumper design to protect the runners feet, keeping you free from rock and other roots in the trail.
- Upper is flexible, durable and has a roomy toe box
- Mesh lining and water repellant coating will keep you dry
- Gusseted Tongue keeps dirt from entering your shoe
- Dual-C outsole is a sticky rubber material for more duarability and grip on different terrain surfaces
- Order one size larger, has issues with sizing
- Missing some arch support, according to some runners
- Outsole didn’t have enough grip on wet surfaces
New Balance Leadville V3
The New Balance Leadville V3 offers protection, flexibility and traction if you want more performance on trails, great for runners who wanted a bit of support to their feet during heavy trail running.
They retained the most basic features and revise the very popular ultra-marathon trail running shoe in Leadville V3. The breathability and toe protection is the most visible upgrade, the upper is now more breathable and now has more toe to heel rand as a toe bump. The mesh is also stretchable to wrap your foot, especially if you are a heavy runner.
They also rasied the stack height a bit while maintaning the 8mm drop, the new stack height will give more underfoot protection without taking away ground feedback for long trail runs.
Another addition is the seamless sockliner that provides comfort, a very soft and plush fabric that makes your long routine bearable.
- Upper is constructed to make sure it is debris-free
- Has a Gusseted Tongue and toe guard
- Has Vibram outsole, strong and efficient layer
- Outsole were not durable, according to some runners
- Heel and forefoot area are not properly cushioned
- Expensive shoe
Salomon Speedcross Vario
The Salomon Speedcross Vario is a neutral trail running shoes that provides cushioning, protection and superb comfort. Great grip on different terrain and you can surely use in any outdoor activity.
It also comes with improved outsole unit, a friction lugs that are more aggressive and delivers a superb grip for different surfaces. The upper construction has a maximum breathability that works flawlessly in any trail condition, adding to that is the anti-debris mesh cover, tongue that wil keep the small debris from entering your shoe.
- Has anti-debris breathable mesh
- The tongue works really well
- Lightweight and durable, according to some runners
- The firm cushion is not ideal for long distance running
- Quite expensive
- Doesn’t have quick-lacing system
Saucony Xodus 6
This is the 6th generation of Xodus, it features a higher volume design than the Xodus 5. It has a forefoot area that is wider, giving your toe some space. Mid-foot has been raised, which allows differnt foot sizes to fit inside without any issues. The rear includes a low-cut making it easier for natural movemetns of the joints and tendons.
The sole is now thicker, POWERGRID foam technology was also included in this running shoe, helping you in getting more comfortable and well-balanced underfoot.
The overlay has a mesh material, making a singular unit without additional layers of stiching, and wrapping your foot in a snug fit.
Another feature that we like is the plate added in the sole of the unit, this protects your foot from harsh elements, making it a shield for debris and sharp objects in the trail.
- Brethable fabric from Open Mesh
- foot down
- Has protective components to shield your foot from sharp objects
- Durable and responsive cushioning
- Stiching irritated the skin of some runners
- A little expensive for a running shoe
- Quite on the heavy side
Merrell Pace Glove 3
The new features are more robust construction, upper unit has overlays that are slightly thicker and helps you maintain the structuer of the upper. The mesh material has now more open construction, which isn’t appreciated from previous version.
It is now breathable, flexible and close-to-the-ground running shoe, a very important qualities to help you with your pace. It still maintains the standard and minimalist running to those to need durability and support.
Thought the underfoot cushioning is very thin, it doesn’t hvae multiple layers of foam that other running shoe offer. The zero-drop design helps neutral position of the foot, and capable of delivering minimal underfoot support.
- Lightweight construction which runners love
- Has a mesh and synthetic upper
- TrailProtect pad underfoot provides protection
- Most runners didn’t like this version
- “Glove feeling” was lost, based on several runner reviews
La Sportiva Ultra Raptor
The La Sportive Ultra Raptor is a neutral running shoe designed for trail running, featuring a combination of comfortable, stable and responsive that gives you a great ride.
It features the Impact Brake lugged system that designed to lessen the landing impact and improve traction for uphill and downhill runs. It also comes with enhanced outsole where sticky rubber compound is located, delivers an impressive traction and grip on any rocky terrains.
It also comes with heel pocket cushioning, which delivers added durabiltiy and comfort fit for long distance running.
- Features a breathable Air Mesh upper
- EVA Rock Guard that protects your foot from debris
- Runners are happy with the durability of the shoe
- Has Sticky FriXion XF rubber outsole for impressive grip and traction
- Impact Break System is great for surface grip on uphill and downhill
- Some runners experience a slip when running on wet surfaces
- Quite heavy running shoe
- A little expensive
- Some runners noted that it is too bulky
Merrell All Out Peak
The Merrell All Out Peak is a trail neutral runnign shoe that is great for rough trail runs, ideal for runners who are looking for comfortable running shoes for daily training.
It comes with HyperWrap 360 Degree Fit System that locks your midfoot in place for more stability and agility. TrailProtect pad provide a underfoot protection from sharp objects while running on rough terrain.
- Runners liked the HyperWrap 360 Degree Fit System because it keeps your foot lock in place
- Offers impressive comfort and support
- Offers right sizes
- A little expensive than the usual
- Has a narrow fit, which disappoint some runners
- Not durable, according to some runners
Inov-8 X-Talon 200
The Inov-8 X-Talon 200 is a lightweight and flexible running shoe that is best for racing or obstacle course running, it provide an impressive grip and protection on different kinds of terrain.
The new features are enhanced upper built, which is now water resistant coating that keeps the water or mud from entering your shoe, helping you stay dry.
The rubber toe bumper is designed to protect your foot from sharp objects during your runs, the Rope-Tec rubbers gives you a foot irritation and blisters protection.
- Has an impressive grip on different surfaces
- Lightweight and flexible
- Breathable forefoot mesh and DWR coating keeping your foot dry
- Has a roomy toe box
- Has a narrow lacing system for more snug fit
- Not as durable as expected, according to some runners
- Needs more underfoot protection
Skechers GOrun Ultra 2
The Sketchers GOrun Ultra 2 is best for runners who are looking for well-cushioned and responsive running shoe with arch support and great grip that is ideal for long distance running.
This shoe provides a maximum cushioning, featuring a thick mid-sole unit that is able to provide flexiblity and impact protection. This shoe will keep your foot supported during your runs.
Upper unit is made of synthetic materials and mesh to create a strong supportive coverate, and also breathable. The overlay is fused directly onto the upper to maintain its structure. The upper is protective and still comfortable.
- Features an aggressive traction control for any terrain
- Runers liked the cushioning and impressive traction
- Soft fabric sho lining
- Roomy toe box area
- Midsole and outsole are not durable as expected
- Upper is not breathable, according to some runners
Inov-8 X-Talon 212
The Inov-8 X-Talon 212 is racing running shoe that can help you on soft and hard terrain, reliable and mid-racing shoe, it won’t disapoint you when it comes to hiking and obstable runs. It offers durability, speed and protection.
The new Inov-8 Talon 212 features a fast, light and natural running which weights only 212 grams and also flexible.
The upper is durable water repellent coating that keeps water from entering the shoe wihtout sacrificing the breathablity feature.
- Flexible and fast, according to some runners
- Some found this running shoe very versatile
- Has an impressive grip on soft and hard surfaces
- The mid-sole has responsive cushioning
- Too narrow, accoding to some runners
- A little expensive
Hope you found the right running shoes for you from the list above, we will keep you updated when a new best trail running shoes for 2017 is coming.