Finding your favorite best road running shoes is difficult, especially if you have no idea what works for your stride, gait and form. While there are different versions from minimalist running shoes, and maximalist, you should first remember what is your goal and what kind of road you will run to.
Why Do You Need a Road Running Shoes Instead of Trail Shoes?
Road running shoe are design to adapt to the impact from repetitive strides on hard surfaces, it also offers more cushioning than your typical trail running shoe. They are rarely waterproof, while some are which is still great due to weather changes. Another thing that I like is the flat outsoles, since they require optimum grip for flat surface.
If you recently signed up for a marathon, road running shoe is what you need. If you do all-round training and you do road and trail, it’s good to have a spare shoe that helps you perform well on road surfaces.
What Should You Look For?
First, you have to ask an expert to asses you. In case you need any stability support, go for neutral running shoes. If you need some sort of support, go for stability running shoes. If your arches are collapsing a lot, choose motion control running shoes.
Top 30 Best Road Running Shoes
Nike Free Run Distance
Nike Free Run Distance is a running shoes for neutral runners who wanted to have more cushioning and flexiblity for long distance running. This shoe offers natural motion of the foot and will give you more boost in your performance, runners who prefer Nike Free Run Distance love this shoe.
Pros: Extremely flexible, sock-like snug fit, smooth and responsive ride
Cons: narrow forefoot, pretty expensive
Saucony Cohesion is a go-to training shoes for beginners or casual runner, this shoe offers support, durability and breathability. Although it’s a bit heavy, runners prefers the cushioning and stability it offers.
Pros: Breathable and lightweight, durable running shoes, comfortable and stable featuring Heel Grid System
Cons: Not flexible enough, some runners didn’t like the bland insoles
Saucony Stabil CS
Saucony Stabil CS is a running that combines comfort and stability with focus on motion control, this running shoe is a dream for most runners who are trying to control the movement on their feet. This shoes will help your pronation and improve your performance each use.
Pros: Hydrator Lining, anti-moisture properties, Sauc-Fit feature, responsive and efficient
Cons: A little expensive, some runners didn’t like the narrow in the forefoot
The Nike Lunaracer running shoes relies on the midsole for more cushioning when you go for longer runs. It also gives you a fast response, perfect for runnes who are looking for flexible shoes. Upper mesh is made of thin material,with Flywire technology that sits around the midfoot and heel of the shoes, these are responsible for more secured foot in a snug-fit during your running.
Pros: Lightweight running shoes, cushioning is at its best, durable and reliable materials used, flexible, offers reflective materials design
Cons: Outsole will wore out fast, some runners fidn the fit too narrow
Adidas Adistar Boost ESM
The Adidas Adistar Boost ESM is a great running shoes for runners who wanted to help their runs perform better, while it doesn’t have new features, it works as it should. It’s breathable, comfortable and durable running shoes that would support your foot, appreciate how it helps you stabilize your movements and keeps your foot safe throughout the sessions.
Pros: Energy returns while making sure your foot is well-supported, external heel counter to improve the fit
Cons: A bit heavy, expensive shoes, some runners complain that the mid-sole is a bit stiff and unresponsive, outsole was too thin for longer use
Nike Free Flyknit 4.0
Nike Free Flyknit 4.0 provides runners with the best features in a cushioned and minimalist version running shoes. Though it offers a quite good cushioning, if you are used to well-cushioned running shoes, you will need a little adjustment. After a few runs, you will maximize the most of the Nike Free Flyknit.
Pros: Offers breahtable support, underfoot comfort is precise, Flywire integrations on the sides works well
Cons: Some runners complains about inconsistent flexibility, expensive price, mild arch support
The Saucony Omni is a must-have for all runners, in terms of stability, support and features. Runners loves the rebound assests, superb suport for pronation and quality cushioning and lightweight feel.
Pros: Keeps your feet dry, PWRGRID mid-sole, stability from Dual Density SSL EVA, has pronation control, lightweight
Cons: Some runners complain the tighter toe box, upper was not comfortable to skin, expensive shoe
Asics Gel Noosa Tri
Asics Gel Noosa Tri 8 is a well-rounded running shoes that provides better stability that many runners find helpful during training to improve their running performance. The support and stability it provides is superb, also the cushioning will make your runs more enjoyable and comfortable during long training days.
Pros: Seamless upper design for sock-like fit and comfortable, can be used without socks, Gel Cushioning System is helpful for absorbing impact
Cons: Expensive price, one size smaller than the usual
Nike Flex Run
Nike Flex Run decreases the foot fatigue and will make sure that you have superior cushioning to protect your foot from debris and other materials. The adaptive fit and breathability allows the flexibility of the shoes without sacrificing the support, men and women runners really love this road running shoes.
Pros: lightweight and breathable, comfortable running shoes, flexible and responsive
Cons: Too narrow in the mid-foot area, smaller in size, bit tighter until you break it in according to some runners
Brooks Launch is exceptional running shoes since it allows the control of pronation significantly, every step a runner make creates a comfortable feel of the shoes. This is best for entry level runners who are looking for a running shoes that will help them enchance their running form.
Pros: Breathable running shoes, flexible, high abrasion resistant rubber, responsive and durable
Cons: One size smaller than the usual, upper lose its threading after few uses according to some runners, cushioning was a bit too much for some
Brooks Glycerin 14
Brooks Glycerin 14 is one of its flagship for neutral and ulra-cushioned running shoes, though it doesn’t match the max cushioned shoes of its competitors, it offers a pilowy cushioning and it is lighter compared to the rest of its line up.
It also provices an excellent arch support, a very supportive one and continues to deliver a flexible ride. This running shoe is great from light runs to 10ks, at moderate speed as it packs with enough cushioning for longer mileage.
- A sock-like fit with plush interior that combines for an ultra-comfortable ride
- A highly-cushioned midsole that absorbs the impact
- An ounce ligther than the its previous version
- Offers great traction
- Has arch support for neutral runner
- Great flexibility even with heavy cushioning
- Some runners experience a tigther fit
- A bit small than the usual size
- Expensive running shoe
- Squeaks when running on wet pavement
- Padded tongue didn’t like by some runners
Asics Gel Noosa Tri 11
Asics Gel Noosa Tri 11 is the new version with upper design changes, a more comfortable exterior and interior fabrics, it is also more lightweight than its previous version and a solid running shoe for your daily training. This is also great if you have over-pronation.
- Many appreciate the Engineered Mesh Upper, which brings a breathable and lightweight running shoe
- Seamless construction allows you to wear it even without socks
- This is the 11th version of Fel Noosa Tri, which is even lighter than its previous version
- Durable running shoe
- Some runners noticed a narrow toe area
- Some runners didn’t like the upper part
- It is 1/2 size smaller than their usual size
Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 33
Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 33 is here to bring you a great performance on different levels, this running shoe offers unbelievable comfort, good arch support, excellent breathability, a solid traction and a versatile running shoe. They also offer this on very reasonable price, runners would love what Nike brings to this running shoe.
- Bang-for-buck running shoe
- Offers breathable materials
- Great for high-mileage runs
- Superb traction
- Has a narrow toe box according to some runners
- A bit on the heavy side
- Some runners has issues with the laces, which unties itself during their runs
New Balance 860 v7
New Balance 860 V7 brings stability and great support in their running shoe, runners will love what if offers especially the combination of cushioning, comfort and breathabilty.
- Provides great stability and support
- No-sew construction, reduces the risk of blisters or irriation
- Upper is soft and breathable
- Cushioning is soft and responsive
- A bit expensive running shoe
- Some runners noticed that it is on a heavy side
- Limited color variations
Nike Flyknit Racer
Neutral runners will love what Nike Flyknit Racer brings, from comfort, security and style. Some runners will prefer this as their daily running shoe which brings a great comfort and breathability.
- Flyknit fabric will not cause any irritation
- Breathable running shoe
- Lightweight and comfortable for daily usage
- Underfoot is responsive
- High quality materials, durable and will last longer
- Some runners reports that it is not durable enough
- Underfoot was not effective to some runners
- A bit on the narrow side
Adidas Adizero Boston Boost 6
Adidas Adizero Boston Boost 6 impressed a lot of runners. It deliver a solid performance and cushioning, high quality materials and great neutral running shoes.
- It is lightweight
- Comfortable is the way to describe this running shoe
- High quality materials was used
- Great forefoot, mid-foot and heel support
- Tongue folds and a bit distracting during your runs
- A bit tight, according to some runners
Adidas Ultra Boost Uncaged
Adidas Ultra Boost Uncage is provding comfort, security without giving your feet restrictions. The cushioning system is great and runners loved it’s overall performance.
- Runners love the lightweight and its looks
- Durable and will last you a long time
- Boost technology received a high praise for its responsive performance
- A bit on the tight side, according to some runners
- Some commented that it lacks mid-foot support
- The garter collar can irritate your skin after prolonged use
Adidas Supernova Glide Boost 8
Adidas gave their new Supernova Glide Boost 8 its new technology from top to bottom. The quality and performance on this running shoe will certainly fit other runners, it is very responsive, great for peopel who are looking for neutral running shoe.
- Offers great support
- Comfortable running shoe, according to large number of runners
- An excellent trainer for long distance runs
- Roomy toe box
- Needs a little mileage to break in the shoe
- Didn’t come with optional widths
Asics Gel Fortitude 7
Asics Gel Fortitude 7 is a unique running shoe that is loved by runners who have moderate to heavy over-pronators, Gel Fortitude 7 also offers motion control running shoes. With great overpronation measures, runners who have flat arches, inflexible feet can have fun running with the help of this running shoe.
- Has low stack height
- Excellent for moderate to really excessive overpronators
- Comfortable running shoe
- Bargain for its price
- Provides flexibility
- A bit on the heavy side
- Sturdy training partner
Adidas Adistar Boost ESM
Adistar Boost ESM from Adidas is made of high quality materials that provide mild support in your mid-foot and is also great for neutral runners.
- Flexible upper which provide seamless support
- Shoe’s external heel counter improves the fit in the rear area
- Great cushioning system that deliver smooth and responsive ride
- Expensive running shoe
- Some runners complains about the mid-sole was a bit stiff
- Some noticed the outsole was too thin
Hope this list helped you in any way, if you we missed your favorite road running shoe please let us know in the comments below and we will surely add them.